It was established in 1963 by the initiative of Swedish Government as Swedish-Pakistan Institute of Technology. After emergence of Bangladesh, the institute renamed as Bangladesh Sweden Polytechnic Institute. BSPI is now one of the distinguished and well-reputed technical educational institute in Bangladesh. It has qualified teachers, workshops and laboratories with modern equipments. About 1500 students are now studying in different technical fields of this institute.
The Institute buildings includes
- One single storied structure for workshop for Civil- Wood Technology.
- One double storied structure being used for science laboratory and class rooms
- One double storied structure for office accommodation.
- One single storied structure for the workshops of Automobile, Electrical and Mechanical Technologies.
- One single storied structure for canteen.
- One double storied and one 3 storied structure for students Hostel and one 4 storied structure for female Hostel
- One 4 storied structure (newly build) for Computer and Construction Technology.
- One wood seasoning chamber and impregnation plant.
- 2 blocks of garages and Electric Sub-station.
- One covered walkway linking all the buildings.